Oracle Buffer Cache Performance Analysis & Tuning
• Unlock deep tuning secrets • Understand the buffer cache • Live & interactive class •
5 sessions Standard Price - $649
Oracle Buffer Cache Performance Analysis & Tuning teaches you how to unlock Oracle's block buffer cache deep tuning secrets. A dizzying array of unlimited requirements and limited capacity can result in massive CPU consumption and wait events such as read by other session, db file sequential reads, latch: cache buffer chains, latch: cache buffer LRU chain, write complete waits, and buffer busy waits. This class will teach you how to identify when the buffer cache internal memory structures are being stressed to the point of hindering performance, how they work and how to resolve the performance issues.
Why should I attend this class?
At least one of the top five wait events almost always contains a buffer cache related event. This means every Oracle DBA must intimately understand the buffer cache. Through constant demonstrations and mind-expanding lectures, Craig will guide you through the jungle of algorithms and information. Once you understand how all the moving pieces work together, developing solutions becomes second nature. In other words, your performance tuning skills will become much stronger.
You will be able to:
- Interact directly with Craig as he performs demonstrations and teaches
- Explain to others how the key buffer cache structures work together
- Find the true "top" SQL contributing to buffer cache issues
- Understand how OS limitations are contributing to the performance situation
- Correctly adjust documented and un-documented parameters
- Understand how internal Oracle buffer cache algorithms work
- Use your knowledge of the cache buffer chains, least recently used lists and dirty lists to improve performance
- Watch and listen to Craig as he explains how to diagnose the problems and derives their solutions
Session 1. Oracle buffer cache fundamentals
Session 2. Cache buffer chain internals, performance diagnosis and tuning
Session 3. Buffer busy wait event causes, performance diagnosis and tuning
Session 4. Free buffer wait event causes, performance diagnosis and tuning
Session 5. Case study using an AWR report
Class Hours: There are 10 hours of live, interactive webinar training divided into five 2-hour sessions. To maximize learning and to work with your busy schedule, there will be a 1-3 day gap between sessions.
Class Structure: OraPub believes you learn more when you freely and actively engage during the training. This is why each session is full of live demonstrations and lots of Q&A time. If you miss a session, you are free to attend that session when the class is offered again. (Class is not recorded).
Class Homework: After each live session, you can download your homework. The homework consists of a series of investigative questions (most contain SQL you run on an active Oracle system). The purpose is for you to personally experience the session contents to increase your retention. If there are any slides presented during each session, they will be given to you.
Class Times: To accommodate DBAs around the world, we offer this class at different times. Check our event calendar for an offering that works with your schedule.
You will need:
- The ability to connect to the online training over the internet, hosted by gotomeeting.com. You do not need a microphone. Craig is the only one that speaks but all students will be typing their questions, answers and comments... it's very lively! Oracle software is not required during the live training.
- Time to do the homework. You can expect the homework to take between 30 to 90 minutes.
- The ability to connect to an active Oracle system. You can connect to Oracle using the tool of your choice, such as SQL*Plus or SQL Developer. You will also need access to the v$ and DBA views and the ability to generate either an AWR or Statspack report. We do not use OEM. If you can tune Oracle from the command line, you can tune Oracle using any respectable GUI tool. Also, Craig only uses SQLPlus, so you can type exactly what he types.
Bonus: You will get free insight from Craig for one of your AWR/Statspack reports. You do the analysis, email your findings to Craig, and he will give you free feedback!