Tuning Oracle Using Advanced Active Session History (ASH) Strategies
• Find the needle in the haystack • Solve the mystery • Be an ASH expert •
5 sessions Standard Price - $649
There is a better way to solve your most difficult Oracle performance problems. Some performance issues are literally impossible to solve using an AWR Report or Oracle's time model. ASH comes to the rescue!
Even DBAs who are familiar with ASH have a difficult time using ASH to directly answer key management issues surrounding a performance incident. Craig will teach you how to weave your ASH analysis into a compelling "who done it" mystery complete with good guys, bad guys, motive and even the weapon!
Why should I attend this class?
To Solve The Mystery - ASH provides detailed session level data allowing you to solve mysterious incidents. You know the ones - they are random, non-repeatable and perhaps only affect a few key users or business processes.
To Be Unconventional And Win - There are some unconventional yet extremely useful ways to use ASH data. We will explore how to detect very specific hard parsing issues, SQL statement execution times and plan changes, and even wait event times.
To Become An ASH Expert - As you can imagine, with this much power it is very easy to misuse ASH data resulting in an incorrect or overly optimistic analysis. Craig will teach you how to quickly become an ASH expert, empowering you to solve the world's trickiest Oracle performance problems.
You will be able to:
- Understand the benefits of both time-based analysis and an ASH sample-based analysis
- Pinpoint when an incident began, when it ended, who was involved and what they were doing
- Jumpstart your analysis using OraPub's free BloodHound and Scratchpad ASH tool kits
- Determine SQL statement plan changes - when, how many, etc.
- Infer SQL statement wall time
- Develop an incident time-line to explain the mystery
- Watch and listen to Craig as he demonstrates the analysis process multiple times
Session 1. When to use and how to use ASH
Session 2. Incident analysis mastery
Session 3. Incident analysis using the free BloodHound toolkit
Session 4. Visualizing the incident with ASH and R
Session 5. Using ASH in unconventional ways
Class Hours: There are ten hours of live, interactive webinar training divided into five 2-hour sessions. To maximize learning and to work with your busy schedule, there will be a 1-3 day gap between sessions.
Class Structure: OraPub believes you learn more when you freely and actively engage during the training. This is why each session is full of live demonstrations and lots of Q&A time. If you miss a session, you are free to attend that session when the class is offered again. (Classes are not recorded).
Class Homework: After each live session, you can download your homework. The homework consists of a series of investigative and analysis questions (most contain SQL you run on an active Oracle system). The purpose is for you to personally experience the session contents to increase your retention. Slides presented during each session will be given to you.
Class Times: To accommodate DBAs around the world, we offer this class at different times. Check our event calendar for an offering that works with your schedule.
You will need:
- The ability to connect to the online training over the internet, hosted by gotomeeting.com. You do not need a microphone. Craig is the only one that speaks but all students will be typing their questions, answers and comments... it's very lively! Oracle software is not required during the live training.
- Time to do the homework. You can expect the homework to take between 30 to 90 minutes.
- The ability to connect to an active Oracle system. You can connect to Oracle using the tool of your choice, such as SQL*Plus or SQL Developer. You will also need access to the v$ and DBA views, including v$active_session_history and dba_hist_active_sess_history. If you can tune Oracle from the command line, you can tune Oracle using any respectable GUI tool. Also, Craig only uses SQLPlus, so you can type exactly what he types.
- ASH is only available with Oracle Enterprise Edition with either the Tuning and/or Diagnostic Pack. Please check to ensure you can legally use ASH data.