Oracle DBAs find it difficult to get complete and correct information about how the database engine works. Even when bits of truth are collected, consolidating the data into a useful performance optimizing solution is complicated. When a diagnosis is incomplete or the DBA doesn't understand why a solution improves performance, solution creation becomes a guessing game resulting in haphazard performance improvement.
In this seminar you will learn how selected areas of Oracle work together. The topics are updated constantly (including Oracle 12c) to make this seminar fresh for each audience. Care is given as to why performance solutions work and how to make them usable and practical in a complex and highly available production environment.
This seminar was developed by OraPub founder and Oracle ACE Director, Craig Shallahamer, author of the books
Oracle Performance Firefighting and Forecasting Oracle Performance and the insightful blog,
A Wider View. Craig is also the architect for Stori, OraPub's performance tool that helps you find, understand, and solve Oracle Database performance problems.
Craig is a gifted teacher with 20+ years of experience. He has a knack for making complex topics come alive and become seemingly uncomplicated.
Why should you attend this seminar?
As an Oracle professional, you know most Oracle performance analysis is based on folklore and non-scientific research. This is obviously not desirable because it leads to an incorrect analysis. This seminar presents a number of very specific performance topics that are analyzed 100% through scientific experimentation and then applied to daily Oracle performance analysis. If you are looking for greater insights than what Google, books or a fancy slide deck can provide, then you'll love this seminar!
- Gain deep performance insights
- Learn about Oracle internals that matter when solving performance problems
- Learn how Oracle works based on experimentation, not folklore or Google
- Learn how to maximize Oracle performance in a wide variety of selected areas
- Learn how to quickly understand the merit of a proposed performance solution
- Learn how to setup a quantitative time based diagnostic framework
- Understand why any performance solution will help or not
- Learn when to use a time based versus a sample based (ASH) analysis
- Developing a Oracle Time-Based Analysis diagnostic framework
- Contrasting an ASH with a Time-Based analysis
- Exploring the 12c log writers
- Oracle memory structure serialization control (latch/mutex)
- Cache buffer chain performance analysis and solution development
- Are you sure itís the index root block?
- Calculating CPU utilization without going to the OS
- Parsing: Hard, soft and softer... How bad is bad?
- Cursors, child cursors and more child cursors
- Altering DML batch sizes for quick commit times
- Breaking the rules using commit write
- Who's got the power: core vs thread vs something else
- Merging time-based analysis and queuing theory
- Instrumenting Oracle CPU activity: The missing link
- Diagnosing LRU performance, free busy waits, read by other session waits
- and more...
Familiar with basic Oracle architecture and performance tuning.
This seminar can be delivered in either a one or two day format. The two day format allows more time for Q&A, in-class interaction and discussion, content depth and number of topics presented.
Normal times are 9:00am to 5:00pm with a one-hour lunch break. However, each location can be slightly different.
None. While there will be some exercises, a calculator is all that will be necessary.
More Class Pics Ľ
More testimonials! Ľ